Monday, September 10, 2007

September Product Review

I have very positive things to say about the products this month...I should get paid for this.

Scale: 1-5

Clorox Oxy Magic: 5 (about $3 for a 22-oz spray bottle)
Don't be fooled by the froofy scent and low price...it is powerful stuff!! It claims to work on a wide variety of stains, plus carpet, kitchens, baths, etc. I've honestly only used it on laundry, but I'll tell you what it's gotten out (after spraying, rubbing, & letting it set for 5-30 minutes): baby food, baby pooh, a 6-day-old carrot stain, juice, & dirt/mud. It is like Oxy Clean in a spray bottle, although they are different brands. Also, as I mentioned before, it smells GOOD! Not bleachy at all.

Bird's Eye Steamfresh: 5 (about $2.50/bag)
Can you say, "convenience"??? Hello! These frozen veggies come in a pretty wide variety, and one bag serves about 3-4 people, depending on your serving size. We love the cauliflower/broccoli mixture...and I love that I don't have to cut them myself. You just pop the bag in the microwave, and 4-6 minutes later, you have tonight's vegetable! There are some varieties that are seasoned, or buttered, and we really didn't care for those; we prefer just plain veggies. But, I think there are enough choices for everyone. They are a little pricey, and of course microwaves kill more nutrients, but I think every once in a while, it's worth it.

Ziploc Zip'n Steam: 5 (about $2.50 for 10)
This product is my new favorite thing. It works like the Bird's Eye bags, and cooks the food very evenly. They come in 2 sizes: medium (2-3 people) or large (3-5 people). Each bag has a list of vegetables, chicken, seafood, & other meats along with the cooking times for each. So far I've only used fresh & frozen veggies (no meats), but the cook times have been right on and the veggies have turned out perfect...not soggy or dry. You can even toss your seasonings/oils/butter right in with the food to be cooked. It is also good to warn you about the hot steam...DO be careful! There is a blue strip at the top of the bag that doesn't get hot (how does it know??) for you to hold. Also included in the box is a set of recipes and a coupon.

Sassy Baby Food Nurser: 4 (about $6 for a 2-pack)
These are quite possibly one of the most brilliant baby products ever invented. Whoever thought of this was obviously a parent of many children. When you have that first baby, you have all the time in the world to sit and spoon-feed baby food to them. But when you've got other hungry tummies, time is of the essence. So these nursers are a great way to save time, as well as allow the baby to work on fine motor skills and coordination. It works just like a regular bottle, except it doesn't rely on gravity. As the baby sucks the food out, there is a disc on the inside that pushes the food out and prevents air bubbles. Tip: don't let baby use it on a hard surface. If they drop it, the interior vacuum disc can knock loose, creating a big mess on the floor; which is the only reason for the lower rating. Also, they come with rubber nipples...but you can switch them out with silicone.

4 comments:

Megan said...

alright, ash, i was hoping for some new info. i found the crockpot liners, by the way. can't wait to try them. keep up the good work.

Ashton said...

Thanks! I am always anxious to see what works. I will have to try the steam bags.

Anonymous said...

Soooo looking forward to the Birdseye Steamed Veggies. I am pretty much a cauliflower, broccoli a-holic! :) Sounds awesome. Thanks for the ideas!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you liked the nurser bottles! Joe LOVED using them with Tay, and I loved the mess-less dinners!